Retirement, Risk Management and Procurement
May 17-19, 2017, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.Register
Operational expenses and unexpected legal liabilities can significantly impact the financial health of any organization. This course addresses best practices in contracting and procurement, implementation and management of pension and employee benefit costs, and other process and legal strategies around risk management. No advance preparation is needed.
- Understand best practices in procurement processes, including internal controls
- Identify various pension structures and management options and evaluate the long-term impact on the fiscal health of an organization
- Understand how other employee benefits can impact the fiscal health of an organization
- Learn processes to mitigate financial and legal risk
This course covers key content tested by GFOA's Retirement and Benefits, Risk Management and Procurement exam, one of the five exams required for the CPFO certification. Additionally, participants can earn up to 24 CPE credits (16 in personnel/HR, four in finance and four in management) for this course through the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA). For NASBA purposes, it is categorized as an intermediate-level, "group-live" course. At the end of this course, students will receive a certificate of completion for the Retirement, Risk Management and Procurement course. All six courses are required to receive the Center for State and Local Finance's Certificate in Public Financial Management.
Retired, Chief Financial Officer, DeKalb County, Ga.
• Nearly 40 years of experience in local government finance
• Former pension manager for the city of Atlanta
Retired, Deputy Commissioner for Procurement, Georgia Department of Administrative Services
• Former chief financial officer at Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning
• Certified Government Financial Manager (CFMG)
Clinical Associate Professor, Risk Management and Insurance, Robinson College of Business
• Associate editor of the Journal of Financial Service Professionals
• A licensed attorney in Georgia and California
Past Guest Speakers
|Leon “Rocky” Joyner
Vice President and Actuary, Segal Consulting
Have additional questions? Check out CSLF’s frequently asked questions.