Sponsors: JPMorgan Chase, Nelson Mullins and SMC Terminus
Whether debt is short- or long-term, governments need solid, comprehensive strategies to help ensure it contributes to overall fiscal health. This course introduces policies and best practices for the issuance, use, and management of an organization’s debt. No advance preparation is needed, but knowledge of Excel is recommended.*
- Develop and evaluate an organization’s debt policy
- Understand debt issuance including process selection, bond type selection, and debt structuring
- Learn the issuer’s legal disclosure responsibilities to investors
- Understand IRS regulations governing debt issuance, use and investment of debt proceeds
*Due to the unpredictable nature of COVID-19, the Center for State and Local Finance may be required to alter this schedule. Should any changes occur, we will communicate directly with registrants, and will update the public via email and social media.
Assistant Professor, Department of Public Administration, Binghamton University
• Research published in the Municipal Finance Journal, Public Finance and Management, Public Administration Review, and Policy Studies Journal
• Former economist at the Central Bank of Ghana
Past Guest Speakers
Founder, Kozlarek Law, LLC/Topic: Debt Disclosure
Technical Advisor, Office of Tax Exempt Bonds, Internal Revenue Service
Industry Manager, J.P. Morgan
Head of Municipal Research, Asset Preservation Advisors
This course covers key content tested by GFOA’s Debt Management exam, one of the five exams required for the CPFO certification. Additionally, participants can earn up to 24 CPE credits (20 in finance and four in business law) for this course through the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA). For NASBA purposes, it is categorized as an intermediate-level, “group-live” course. At the end of this course, students will receive a certificate of completion for the Debt Management course. All six courses are required to receive the Center for State and Local Finance’s Certificate in Public Financial Management.