Course Not Offered This Year
Program Fee: $350
Accurate revenue forecasting is the foundation of sound budgeting. This challenging task is an essential tool in governmental planning, and it leads to the smooth operation of any governmental organization. No advance preparation is needed, but knowledge of Excel is recommended. Participants may earn up to 16 CPE credits in economics through the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA).*
- Learn about different types of forecasting techniques and various measures of accuracy in revenue streams
- Employ forecasting techniques to develop a revenue forecast for a government jurisdiction
Nicholas Warner, data scientist at the Center for State and Local Finance (CSLF) and the Fiscal Research Center (FRC) (pictured above)
*Due to the unpredictable nature of COVID-19, the Center for State and Local Finance may be required to alter this schedule. Should any changes occur, we will communicate directly with registrants, and will update the public via email and social media.
Cost analysis will not be offered during the 2020-21 academic session.
Cost analysis is a fundamental tool used in financial management to quantify program costs and adapt budgets to a changing fiscal environment. This class introduces participants to the concepts, data, and skills needed to perform cost analysis. No advance preparation is needed, but knowledge of Excel is recommended. Participants may earn up to 16 CPE credits in finance through the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA).
- Understand why cost analysis is valuable for fiscal analysis and annual budgeting
- Learn how to identify mission centers and direct versus indirect costs
- Practice how to develop a unit cost table in Excel to analyze program costs
- Perform analyses required to make decisions about expanding or limiting program operations
Cynthia Searcy, Associate Dean for Academic Innovation and Strategy, and Clinical Associate Professor of Public Management and Policy (pictured above)
• Research featured in the Municipal Finance Journal, Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting & Financial Management and the Journal of Public Budgeting & Finance
• Current advisory board member of the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition